Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Starting Off

I'm honestly not even sure where to begin right now.  There are so many things I want to say about my weight loss journey and I'm not exactly sure how I will focus this blog.  I guess I should start off with my current stats and we can go from there:

Age - 32
Height - 5'6"
Weight - 195.4
Waist - 42" (at belly button/largest part)

I'm also currently very tired and not sure where to go from here.  I've done all the typical diets and have been following a primal/paleo diet for almost 3 years with no results whatsoever.  It is very discouraging.  I have hypothyroid symptoms and about a month ago was prescribed a very low dose of Nature Throid (32.5 mg/day).  So far the thyroid medicine has done nothing that I can tell.  I have no trouble sleeping and my biggest problem in that department is that I just sleep too damn much.  I usually fall asleep around 9:00 pm and get up around 6:30.  That's a lot of sleep.

As for exercise, well, I hate it!  I have never enjoyed exercise, despite many years of telling myself I feel better after a workout.  The reality is, after a workout I feel exactly how I feel before; tired, depressed and fat.  What's the point?  I force myself to exercise anyway pretty often, but it's never something I look forward to.  My main activity is walking; I walk about 10,000 steps a day just as part of my daily life.  So, at least that is something.

When it comes to food, I'm lost lately.  I recently did a "potato hack" where I ate nothing but baked or boiled potatoes for 5 days.  I did it to lose weight.  I lost 5 pounds in those 5 days, but I've gained all of them back in the 4 days since I stopped, so it obviously wasn't even a short term success.  I felt terrible the entire time I did that, as well.  So, in order to hopefully find some direction, I am currently reading Wheatbelly Total Health and then I'm going to read The Perfect Health Diet which was recommended to me by my forum friends at Mark's Daily Apple.  I'm more excited about The Perfect Health Diet, but Wheatbelly is a pretty quick read for me so I'll probably be starting it in a few days.

So, here's what I've eaten today:

9:00 - Chobani 0% Plain Yogurt, Medium Banana, 1 tbsp Honey (guesstimate)
10:15 - Coffee with Half & Half and Stevia, String Cheese
12:45 - Taco Salad: Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Cheese, Ground Bison, Pinto Beans, Sour Cream (the whole salad is around 3 cups)
5:15 - Apple with Peanut Butter
7:00 - Cuban Pork Burgers
8:00 - Caramels (4, I made them using a recipe without any corn syrup, but they did have honey and sugar)

Cups of Water - 6.5

Supplements - Metagenics FolaPro, B12, Milk Thistle, InterFase Plus Enzymes

The FolaPro, B12 and Milk Thistle were recommended by my doctor, but I'll get into that in another post.

I know I have some disordered thinking about food and I'm working on it.  Just as an example. I found out today that we're getting a refund on a TV we purchased because the manufacturer refused to stand by the warranty.  It's awesome because the TV was quite expensive.  My first thought was to celebrate with champagne or dinner out.  Not good.  My first thought SHOULD be that we'll be able to put more money in our retirement account or something, not food.

In any event, I'll hopefully remember to update the rest of my food log for the day.  I plan to record my weight on a separate page/log every Wednesday.  I know if I'm ever going to keep the weight off I'll have to lose it responsibly and probably slowly.  Damn, I hate that.  I'm not a patient person.

No comments:

Post a Comment