Monday, January 19, 2015

Whole 30 - Day 15

I made it to the second half of my Whole 30.  I'm not all that thrilled with the results so far though.  I don't feel that different and I haven't lost any inches (not even 1/2"!) so far.  It is depressing.  Doing this has also turned me into a hermit.  I haven't seen any of my friends since I started and I haven't gone to a restaurant at all.  I'm not comfortable being that person who has to ask a million questions and make a bunch of substitutions when they go out to eat.  I'd rather just stay home.

So, staying home is what I've done.  I mentioned this on the Whole 30 forum and one of the suggestions was that I join Crossfit so I can find new friends.  I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous and is the reason so many people think paleo dieting is some sort of odd cult.  Do I really need to have only paleo friends in order to do this long term?  Is joining a Crossfit gym (at the bargain price of $125 a month) seriously a requirement for this lifestyle?  That is how it seems from every single paleo blog out there, even Paleo Parents, "the fattest people in paleo."

That isn't me.  Maybe this is just the people I know, but it seems like most people don't have that many hobbies.  So, I think it explains why paleo suddenly becomes a hobby for them.  It fills a real void, a void made especially clear when you remove watching TV and mindless eating.  Well, I don't have that void.  I have more hobbies than I have time for already.  Adding in all the cooking and working out is a necessary evil, but I don't want it taking over what little free time is left after working a job I hate and commuting.  I guess I'm just really annoyed by the suggestion that I need "new friends that support my new healthy lifestyle," because it basically confirms the fear I have had all along which is that I cannot do this long term without changing everything about my life, even the things I like.

Anyway, what I have changed was to start  working out, sort of.  Rob has to start running for his black belt test; he will have to run either 3 or 5 miles depending on what the person doing the testing wants.  So, he wanted to see where he was on Saturday.  While he ran, I did HIIT on the elliptical.  I did four 30 second intervals in 20 minutes.  I did that again today.  I timed myself getting up, dressed for exercise, doing the workout, eating breakfast and then showering and getting dressed at a leisurly pace to see how long it really takes.  I managed to do everything in an hour and 30 minutes.  So, I know that I can make my usual train for work if I get up at 6:00.  That isn't too bad since Rob's alarm goes off at 5:40 anyway and I never actually get back to sleep after that.  So, I guess that's what I'm going to start doing in the mornings again.  I'll work out for 20 minutes each day.  It isn't a ton, but it is what I can reasonably commit to and really, that's as much as I ever truly care to do.  I'm not a crossfitter at heart and I don't want to be.

If I don't lose weight through the Whole 30 and working out then I'm going to have to reassess.  I don't really enjoy being so limited all the time and I miss wine.  So, if I can't lose weight being this extreme, then I figure it just is not in the cards for me and I'm going to at least try and work on being content with my weight as it is.  Even at 192 pounds I still shop at regular stores and I can keep up with everyone in my life physically.  My weight doesn't really limit me except for the emotional embarrassment it causes.  But, maybe I just need to get over that.

So, with all that said, here's the weekly status update:


  • Skin - Still no change.  Lots of zits, new ones still coming. Not happy about it at all.  
  • Hair - No change.
  • Weight - 192.2 today (down from 194.6 last Monday; I've been at this weight for 3 days now), Waist is 42" still, no change. Since my measurements are not changing this has me a little concerned that I'm somehow losing muscle. 
  • Exercise - As I mentioned above, I'm hoping to add more in.  I probably won't do it every day, but if I exercise 3 times a week that would be a big improvement.
  • Digestion - No big change from last week.  Yesterday was a bit of a flash-back to previous issues.  So, I wouldn't consider this issue solved at all.
  • Emotionally - No real change.  Obviously today's theme is more frustration.  I'm waiting for the "magic" of Whole 30 to happen and so far I haven't see any.  
  • Sleep - No big changes here.  I've never had much of an issue with sleep, but this week has been a little bad ever since I slept on my neck wrong last Tuesday.  I feel find during the day, but when I lay down things still hurt.  Hopefully that will go away soon.
  • Energy - I haven't commented on this before, but I think it is important.  I'm still falling asleep around 9:00 pm.  I am pretty awake in the morning when the alarm goes off though.  I guess my circadian rhythm is fine.  I love to experience that "boundless energy" people talk about though.
So, that's that.  If I had to make a judgement right now I'd say Whole 30 sucks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment