Friday, January 9, 2015

Whole 30 - Days 4 & 5

Today is day 5.  Yesterday, was another day that was just okay.  I really wanted something sugary.  I tried to soothe my cravings with other foods, but it really didn't work.  Sugar just tastes so good.  I miss that more than alcohol.

Yesterday's menu was okay, but nothing special:

Breakfast - Banana with Almond Butter
Lunch - Beef Stew (man, I'm sick of this stuff now)
Dinner - Steak (NY strip), 1/2 Sweet Potato, Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Snacks - Pickles, Olives, Roasted Garlic

I may have already said this, but I love olives.  The olive bar at Mariano's is pretty great, I get kalamata olives and this roasted garlic that they have.  The garlic is great.  It, unfortunately, uses a vegetable oil (sunflower, I think), so I try to drain off as much of that as I possibly can.  Otherwise, they are perfect for Whole 30.

Today I have that beef stew for lunch again, which I'm not really looking forward to.  I have a fritatta for breakfast though, which I guess is fine.  Tonight we're going to try to make crab cakes, which I am excited about.  I love crab cakes.  If they aren't too hard I'll be making them for my cousin's shower tomorrow.

Speaking of which, that will be my true test.  I'm hosting, just 7 people, but 5 of them will be drinking (which I wish I could) and all of them will be bringing and eating foods I cannot eat.  I'm nervous that I won't be able to keep it together and stay the course.  I've planned a couple drinks that are Whole 30 compliant though:

  • Mimosa - 2 parts lime seltzer, 1 part orange juice
  • Piña Colada - 1 part coconut cream, 1 part pineapple juice, 1 part ice

I know fruit juice isn't ideal, but I think this is just one of those situations where I'm going to need it.  I would rather have some fruit juice than give in to having alcohol.  I'm pretty excited about the piña colada, actually.

It's weird, I keep worrying that I won't be able to stick with the program, but so far I haven't really been tempted at all.  Maybe that's my worry, that I'll crumble if I encounter real temptation.  I did make cookies with my sister yesterday though and I managed to not lick my fingers or taste a single crumb.  That's a tempting setting, right?

I keep thinking about the Whole 30 timeline and wondering where I am at in it.  My wedding ring is really tight today, which seems like it would be part of days 8 and 9 on the timeline.  I also was super tired yesterday (days 6 and 7).  I went to bed around 8:00, pretty much, and I slept until 6:30 without a problem.  I'm not tired now though, but I know I won't last very late at night tonight.  I did have a very odd dream last night, two of them, actually.  Is that a sign that I am sleeping better?  Who knows.

Anyway, I should get back to work.  Suddenly there's a lot to do, which is a plus.  Work is stressing me out a little, but I know that even when it seems like I'm going to be overwhelmed with work, the work really only lasts a couple days and then I'm back to having nothing to do.  I would think it was this particular job, but every job I have ever had has been like this.  I think that's why I enjoy retail so much; there really is always something you can do ("if you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean").  None of my office jobs has ever been that way and I've worked for 5 different companies in 9 different positions over the last 11 years.  The common denominator there is obviously me.

Until tomorrow... stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment